3/6/15 – Northside, Cincinnati, OH –– The newest edition of the Northsider Monthly, March 2015 (Vol. 2 Issue 3) came out in print and online versions today.
Here is what you can expect to find in this issue:
- Information on the Northsider’s first annual fundraiser, Northside Lovefest 2015. (Learn More…)
- This month local painter Daniel Baker submitted artwork for the cover.
- In COMMUNITY COUNCIL NEWS, NCC President Ollie Kroner informed us of several big changes on the horizon.
- In COMMUNITY NEWS, Ellen Vera, Project Coordinator for Apple Street Market updated us with the status of the new store; Gwen Finegan shared the exciting news that Mimi Chamberlin of CAIN (Churches Active in Northside) was honored to receive Nonprofit Director of the Year award; Ingrid Weber of St. Boniface shares news of their Catholic Schools Week Celebration, as well as their open enrollment season. Additionally, they announced that their staff member Mrs. Becky Losekamp is participating in the Cook for America Program.
- In EDUCATION, Elissa Yancey of Northside’s non-profit WordPlay submitted an article about the work of volunteer Suzanne Schindler; Matt Luken of Happen Inc. shares news of Happen’s 16th Anniversary and what’s on the horizon with their educational programming.
- In FEATURE this month, the fifth article in our series on the plethora of Woman-Owned Businesses in Northside, is an article by Alisa Balestra on Bettina Myers of Pinnokios Hair Studio and her work Making Magic with Hair as a Medium!
- In SPOTLIGHT this month, staff writer Nick Mitchell shared on the ongoing success of Northside Second Saturday.
- In FOOD CULTURE, Ana Bird of the Northside Farmer’s Market highlighted the unique program where kids learn to chop, sauté, bake, and prepare local foods!
- In SCREEN, Happen’s Film Critics, Oscar, Henry and Luci and Cincinnati Film Critic TT Stern-Enzi, offered us reviews of the 2013 film Standing Up.
- In HEALTH & WELLNESS, Cynthia Allen of Future Life Now reviewed a new book on neuroplasticity, The Brain’s Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity, by Norman Doidge, M.D.
- In OPINION, Steve Sunderland and Vanessa Kurtzer submitted an article on Why we need patient navigators.
- Last, but definitely not least, in VERSE & PROSE, our section featuring local poets and creative writers, we published poems by Northsiders Eli Thompson-Jones, Brandon Niehaus and Livia Stinson.
Some great stuff here this month. Read it, share it and continue to engage with life and culture in the Northside Neighborhood. Oh, and don’t forget to check out SCENE, the events calendar for Northside in March on pages 16 and 17.
Thanks again to all those involved in this mostly volunteer run, monthly grassroots community publication including the contributors to this issue:
The Happen Inc. volunteer newspaper rollers, led by Tommy Rueff of Happen Inc. and his staff.
Delivery Crew: Riccardo Taylor, Karen Andrew, Sue Wilke, Stephen Davis, SaraLynne Thoresen, ThoraLynne McKinney, Mati Senerchia, Noeli Senerchia, Jacob Walker, Daisy Walker, Isaac Hunter, Owen Hunter, Lauren Shockley-Smith, Meredith Shockely-Smith.
The Writers: Ollie Kroner, Matt Luken, Ellen Vera, Gwen Finegan, Ingrid Weber, Ana Bird, Cynthia M. Allen, Brandon E. Niehaus, Eli Thompson-Jones, Livia Stinson, Elissa Yancey, Nick Mitchell, Alisa Balestra, Larry Wells, TT Stern-Enzi & the Happen Film Critics. Steve Sunderland and Vanessa Kurtzer
Artwork/Photos: Cincy Red Bike, Apple Street Market, CAIN, St. Boniface, WordPlay, Happen Inc., Tina Myers, Nick Mitchell, Ana Bird
Monthly Cover Artist: Daniel Baker
Also, Thanks again to our monthly advertisers for your ongoing support of this publication. Advertisers include: The Comet, NVISION, Barrio Tequileria, The Littlefield, Marketside Mercantile, Beautiful Strands, Tantrum, Shake It Records, Greater Cincinnati Jewelry Exchange, Liberty Tax, Northside Tavern, Northside Surplus, North Side Bank, North Church, Schaeper Pharmacy, Puppy Prep School, Northside Hardware, Pinnokios Hair Studio, Future Life Now, Bistro Grace, YogaAh!, Chameleon, Clifton United Methodist Church, Ruth’s Parkside Cafe, and Emily Valentino.
If you have comments, questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Thanks for being a great community Northside!
Northsider Monthly Managing Editor/Publisher